Get a Job, Create a Career
Technical skills are incredibly important to have in today’s workplace. Computer skills, such as typing, data entry, and familiarity with Microsoft and Apple programs, are always necessary for even entry-level jobs. Improving those skills can broaden your job into a career and set you up for continued success! However, there are other tools you must have to do well in the workplace. Job skills help you manage conflict and interact effectively with colleagues and family, and are just as necessary as technical skills. Not everyone possesses these skills, but learning them can lead you to a happy and productive life. Goodwill Industries of Central Illinois provides job skills training to residents of Peru, IL to learn these skills, and pass them on to others as well!
A Rich Learning Experience
It takes more than just computer knowledge or proficiency in writing to maintain your career path. Communication and personal development skills are essential in moving up the professional ranks, and they help you build relationships outside of work as well.
Goodwill Industries offers courses in a variety of subjects geared toward people who need to learn or improve their job skills. In addition to computer skills (Microsoft Word+Excel, email), resume writing, professional writing, and forklift training, we also offer classes in professional development. These are just some of the courses we offer:
- Microsoft Word/Excel – Goodwill holds basic and advanced classes where students learn how to effectively use the word processing and spreadsheet programs. (Workshops on both programs are also offered at Joliet Junior College, Spoon River College, Black Hawk College and Illinois Valley Community College.)
- Professional Writing – A review of strategies for effective workplace writing.
- Social Media – An introduction to modern social media platforms and how to properly use them.
- Resume Writing – A course covering exactly what you should include on your resume, and how to write a great cover letter!
- Interviewing – The basics of what to say (and what not to say!) in a job interview.
- Career Exploration – Before you get your resume together and prepare for the interview, you have to know what career path you want to go down. We help you find out in this class.
- Goal Setting
A full list of courses is available online on our calendar.
Improving Peru and Central Illinois!
Goodwill Industries of Central Illinois offers job skills training programs to residents of Peru, IL and Central Illinois. It’s our mission to support and strengthen our community through these courses, job preparation, youth programs, and veterans’ services. For more information on our job skills training in Peru, Kewanee, Morris, Macomb, Galesburg, Peoria, East Peoria, Washington, Canton, Pekin, visit www.goodwillpeo.org!