Your Career and Your Life
Technical skills are incredibly important to have in today’s workplace. Computer skills, such as typing, data entry, and familiarity with Microsoft and Apple programs, are always necessary for even entry-level jobs. Improving those skills can broaden your job into a career and set you up for continued success! With Goodwill’s job skills training courses, you can learn those technical skills necessary in getting your first job and building a career!
Goodwill Industries of Central Illinois provides classes for residents of Canton, IL to learn these valuable skills, and pass them on to others as well!
The Skills You Need
The knowledge you gain in school can help you get a job and build a career. However, it takes more than just computer knowledge to maintain your career path. Communication and personal development skills are essential in moving up the professional ranks, and they help you build relationships outside of work as well.
Goodwill Industries offers courses in a variety of subjects geared toward people who need to learn or improve their job skills. In addition to computer skills (Microsoft Word+Excel, email), resume writing, professional writing, and forklift training, we also offer classes in professional development. These are just some of the courses we offer:
- Microsoft Word/Excel – Goodwill holds basic and advanced classes where students learn how to effectively use the word processing and spreadsheet programs. (Workshops on both programs are also offered at Joliet Junior College, Spoon River College, Black Hawk College and Illinois Valley Community College.)
- Professional Writing – A review of strategies for effective workplace writing.
- Social Media – An introduction to modern social media platforms and how to properly use them.
- Resume Writing – A course covering exactly what you should include on your resume, and how to write a great cover letter!
- Interviewing – The basics of what to say (and what not to say!) in a job interview.
- Career Exploration – Before you get your resume together and prepare for the interview, you have to know what career path you want to go down. We help you find out in this class.
- Goal Setting
A full list of courses is available online on our calendar.
Strengthening the Community of Canton, IL!
Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel, quality writing, effective communication, and knowing how to write a resume are just some of the skills that can carry you through life successfully. Goodwill Industries of Central Illinois aims to teach job skills training to residents of Canton, IL and Central Illinois. It’s our mission to support and strengthen our community through our courses, job preparation, youth programs, and veterans’ services. For more information on our job skills training courses in Canton, Galesburg, Peoria, East Peoria, Washington, Pekin, Macomb, Morris, Kewanee, and Peru, visit www.goodwillpeo.org!