A Necessary Sacrifice
Our servicepeople are essential to our way of life. They sacrifice years of their lives to protect us, both at home and abroad. Once they return home, however, they require help from the local community to reintegrate into daily life. Federal and local government assistance is available, but far too often, veterans require additional help that cannot be publicly provided. That’s why Goodwill offers veterans’ services in East Peoria, IL, and throughout the region. We want to give them the help they require to live a normal life once they return home.
How We Help Our Veterans
There are many homeless veterans living in Central Illinois. Some room with friends and family, while some spend their days in homeless shelters.Unfortunately, others are forced to live on the streets or wherever they can find space.
Goodwill Industries of Central Illinois works in a variety of ways to help the veterans of East Peoria, IL, whether they need job training, living and medical assistance, or a reliable support network.
Here’s some of the veterans’ services we provide throughout Central Illinois:
- General Wayne A. Downing Home for Veterans – Opened in Peoria in 2005, the Home veterans a place to live when they might not otherwise have a place to go. The ten-bedroom facility is the only one of its kind in the state, and provides intensive holistic treatment options for many issues veterans face, including PTSD, substance abuse, job placement, and general medical care.
- Homeless Veterans’ Reintegration Program – This program, begun in 2009 with a grant from the U.S. Department of Labor, expedites the reintegration of homeless veterans into society. Open to all veterans with a non-dishonorable discharge, the HVRP aims to:
- Reduce the barriers preventing veterans from finding and maintaining stable and consistent employment.
- Provide veterans access to resources that make entrance into the workforce easy.
- Create a community network to move veterans from homeless and jobless to working and living comfortably.
The HVRP is available in Peoria, Tazewell, and Woodford Counties, and throughout the Central Illinois region. More information is available through our main site here.
- Goodwill Veterans Employment Program – We have also extend the benefits of the HVRP to non-homeless veterans who have been honorably discharged.
- Employment Services Center – Goodwill provides additional services outside of our veterans programs that are aimed at helping people add to their skill set. Our Employment Services Centers, located in Peoria, Pekin, and Galesburg, offer classes in job skills, computer skills, or reinforcement in life skills. More information can be found here.
Contact Us Today!
Goodwill Industries of Central Illinois is proud to offer veterans’ services in East Peoria, IL! We are committed to helping the veterans of East Peoria live and work comfortably. It’s our responsibility and duty to support those who have given much of themselves to support us and our livelihood. For more information on veterans’ services we provide in East Peoria, Peoria, Pekin, Washington, Canton, Galesburg, Macomb, Morris, Peru, and Kewanee, visit our website, call us at (309) 682-1113 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!